Saturday, September 13, 2008

are you trying to get killed by standing on the streetside?

Few days ago, i was studying until quite late at night when this guy who was studying next to me flipped out his phone and made a call. I was not being a busybody or anything, but he was talking very loudly so I cant help myself from overhearing his conversation. Apparently he was trying to flirt with this girl, and it went downhill from there:

"Hey, would you go out with me on Saturday? I need some woman's advice here to choose a gift for my friend"
(The oldest trick in the book, dude, but it does work sometimes. Good start.)

"Oh you really cannot? Come on, I really need your help "
(Uh oh... Sounding desperate in the first few seconds. Not good.)

Few minutes later,

"Do you remember the quote that I told you last time? You dont? Oh, you should be very pitiful, the quote is very sweet"
(Well, I dont see why she should be "pitiful". You have my pity, though.)

and the coup-de-grace was,

"What? You really think I'm gay?"
(......)

Well, Good Game, buddy. Should have bought you a drink.

One thing that really strikes me was the usage of word "pitiful". I won't pretend that I'm linguistically very inclined, but I found it very weird. "Pitiful" is indeed a synonym for "sorry", but,...
Aiyoh, nevermind lah, like that also cannot meh?

And I'm not criticizing anyone here. Some guys even grow up, get married, have sex, have children without ever making their first call. I appreciate this guy, with all his limitations, he dared to flirt in the language he has not mastered yet.

On the other hand, you dont have to talk all the time.
Maybe you just have to

"slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breath"
- Jeffrey McDaniel

Right, Julz?
Cheers for that particular sleepless night.

song of the day: Norah Jones - Sleepless Nights

serius_loe_jon
gimme fuel
gimme fire
gimme that which i desire

No comments: